Monday, November 15, 2010

confessions, confections and coffee sessions v.02: Sweet Poetry, Revisiting Sonnet XVII Over Dessert and Coffee

Sonnet XVII by Pablo Neruda

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other way

than this: where I does not exist, nor you,
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

It was a rainy weekend, I was hanging out in Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf at the Gateway Mall when I stumbled into this sonnet again. I remember reading this through my very good friend, Cams, who posted it in Facebook months back. Now, I'm posting it here to share how much this moved me... I really can't help not to admire the thoughts this sonnet conveys to its readers, especially its idea of true love: that certain dark things are to be loved and that it should be straightforward, without any complexities or pride. If asked what would be my favorite line, I might say this: "I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where..." such simple yet astonishing words showing that love is truly magical, same as with my love for food and all the wonders it could bring.

As my admiration for this sonnet goes deeper, so as my intense likeness for the Turtle Pie that I slowly consumed during that time; indulging at every chocolaty flavor that I could taste. Its balanced sweetness and flavor are overwhelming, add to that the texture and bite that the pecans had brought the whole ensemble. Just like the poem, it's sweet, smooth and rich - perfect pair with the Moroccan Mint Tea Latte. Also, I loved how the tea latte melted the chocolate in my mouth. The aroma and flavor of the tea highlighted the smoothness and richness of the turtle pie. The Moroccan Mint Tea Latte is spectacular in its own right - relaxing, rich and aromatic - but when paired with the Turtle Pie, one can actually find true love.

I may not have found my special someone yet but that doesn't hinder me from loving poems that discusses what true love is. Call me hopeless romantic but I believe that there's someone out there who is also waiting (or may be searching) for their perfect pair, someone that can make them realize that true love does not only exist in novels and in poetry. Love is all around us and as for me, I will always be happily in love with food, my family and friends. I have been saving this great love in me and in time, in God's own time, I know, I will be able to meet someone who can spend special coffee sessions with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment