Thursday, August 5, 2010

Yema ala Ki


Yema is a type of custard candy made from egg yolks and condensed milk. This is a common Filipino dessert and one of the easiest to make. The ingredients needed are readily available and this does not require a lot of cooking and preparation time; enough reasons for me and my friends to go gaga about it.


This craze started days ago, when two of my dear friends, Cams and Ki planned to start studying how to bake (there's actually a funnier reason why they're so into baking now... and I want to keep it as a secret... haha! kidding...) They shared the idea of it with me and finally we agreed to try it. So, to start of with their training, I decided to give them my own yema recipe.

It is a recipe that I got from my mom way back when I was in high school. Funny but true, I used to sell yema to my classmates at that time and it was such a hit! Since then, it has been the closest Filipino delicacy to my heart. <3 <3 <3

Here's my version of my mom's yema recipe:

Ingredients:
1 can condensed milk
12 egg yolks
nuts (optional) (I prefer cashew, almonds or hazelnuts... ^_^)

Procedure:
Mix condensed milk and egg yolks in a double boiler (a small pan inside a bigger a sauce pan of boiling water). Doing this method instead from putting the custard over direct heat can avoid it from burning. Cook this mixture over medium to high heat, stirring it continuously until the mixture coagulates and separates from the pan. Make sure that it has changed its consistency. Add the nuts. Set aside and cool. Shape it into pyramids and wrap with colorful cellophanes.

For Yema Bonbons, shape your mixture into balls dipping it into caramel or arnibal (equal amounts of sugar & water) using toothpicks. When the caramel hardens, wrap it with different colored plastic wraps.

Enjoy! :D

1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    It is noticeable that there is a great number of tasty recipes on your site and we would like to suggest you to have a look at the Top Food Blog section on our site, the www.mytaste.ph

    MyTaste is a social platform for foodies and blogs/sites owners like you and it helps to reach more people, get more visibility on the web and share/save recipes. Some of the top food blogs receive 20,000 visitors from us on a weekly basis.

    To add your blog to the Top Food Blog list just follow the link http://www.mytaste.ph/join_top_food_blogs


    If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us at
    info@mytaste.ph

    Kind regards
    -ricky

    ReplyDelete